What is remedial massage? Remedial massage is a holistic approach to healthcare that helps to alleviate pain and discomfort in the body. This type of massage therapy involves using specific techniques that target the root cause of the problem, rather than just treating the symptoms.
It is beneficial for people from all walks of life with a wide range of conditions, from sports injuries to chronic pain and stress. In this post, we’ll cover what remedial massage is, how it differs from other types of massage, and the various benefits it can offer the individual.
How Is Remedial Massage Different From Other Types Of Massage?
Remedial massage is a therapy that involves using a variety of massage techniques to help alleviate pain and discomfort in the body. It involves assessing the muscles, tendons, ligaments, and other soft tissues to identify areas of tension or pain—focusing on common trigger points and pain zones.
Your therapist will then use various techniques, such as deep tissue massage, trigger point therapy, myofascial release, and stretching, to help release the tension and promote healing. It differs from these other types of massages in that it is a targeted treatment that aims to address specific conditions or injuries—not just for relaxation.
Swedish massage is one of the most well-known types of massage. It is designed to promote relaxation and relieve muscle tension. The therapist uses long, smooth strokes, kneading, and circular movements on the topmost layers of muscles. It is best suited for people who want to relax and de-stress.
Deep Tissue Massage
Deep tissue massage is similar to Swedish massage, but it focuses on the deeper layers of muscle tissue. The therapist applies pressure to release chronic tension, using slow, deep strokes, and friction techniques. It’s best suited for people with chronic aches and pains, such as neck and back pain.
Sports massage is designed to help athletes prepare for and recover from sporting events. It involves a range of massage techniques and is tailored to the specific needs of the athlete. It can help to increase flexibility, reduce the risk of injury, and speed up recovery time.
Main Benefits of Remedial Massage
Remedial massage has many benefits that can help improve your physical and mental well-being. Here are some of the key benefits.
Perhaps the most significant benefit of remedial massage is its ability to relieve pain. It can help alleviate muscle tension, reduce inflammation, and promote healing, making it an effective treatment for people with chronic pain conditions.
Improved range of motion
Remedial massage can help to stretch and lengthen muscles, which can lead to improved flexibility and range of motion. This can be particularly beneficial for people with stiff or sore joints, or those who have limited mobility.
Remedial massage therapy can also be an effective way to reduce stress and promote relaxation. It can help to release tension in the body and calm the nervous system, allowing you to feel more relaxed and at ease.
Better blood circulation
Remedial massage can also help to stimulate blood flow to the muscles, which can promote healing and accelerate recovery. Improved circulation can also help to reduce inflammation and swelling, delivering oxygen-rich blood to the target area—making it an effective treatment for injuries.
What to expect during a remedial massage session
At Mid North Coast Allied Health, we’re committed to providing individualised, holistic care that supports your overall well-being. We believe in empowering our patients to take an active role in their healthcare and will work with you to develop a treatment plan that meets your unique needs and goals. Here’s what you can expect when booked in for a remedial massage with one of our experienced team.
- Thorough Assessment: Our therapists will start by assessing your body’s movement, posture, and muscle tension to identify potential areas of imbalance or dysfunction and develop an individualised treatment plan that targets those areas.
- Personalised Treatment: At a remedial massage session, you’ll receive a treatment that is tailored to your unique needs and concerns. Our therapists take a holistic approach to healthcare and will work with you to develop a plan that supports your overall well-being.
- Targeted Techniques: During the session, our therapists will use a range of targeted techniques, such as deep tissue massage, myofascial release, and stretching, to address specific areas of tension or pain. This can help to relieve pain, improve flexibility, and promote healing.
- Communication: We encourage open communication and feedback throughout the session to ensure your comfort and satisfaction. Our therapists will provide guidance on breathing techniques, body awareness, and relaxation practices to enhance your experience.
- Holistic Approach: Our team takes a holistic approach to healthcare, considering the interconnectedness of the body, mind, and emotions. We may discuss lifestyle factors and provide recommendations for self-care practices to support your overall well-being.
- Aftercare Advice: At the end of the session, our therapists will provide you with aftercare advice to help you maintain the benefits of the massage. This may include stretches, exercises, or self-massage techniques that you can do at home.
Who can have a remedial massage session?
Remedial massage is suitable for people of all ages and fitness levels. It can be particularly effective for people with musculoskeletal issues such as back pain, neck pain, or shoulder pain.
In addition, remedial massage can be beneficial for people who are recovering from injuries, such as sports injuries or car accidents. It can also be helpful for people who are dealing with stress, anxiety, or depression.
Here are some of the main benefits of remedial massage:
- Targeted treatment for musculoskeletal issues
- Pain relief and improved flexibility
- Rehabilitation and injury management
- Stress and anxiety management
- Postural improvement
- Overall well-being improvement
A powerful form of therapy, remedial massage offers a range of benefits for both physical and mental health. If you’re struggling with chronic pain, tension or stress, or want to improve your overall well-being, remedial massage could be a great option for you.
Take the Next Step
By booking an appointment with a reputable remedial massage therapist like Angela, Michael, Holly or Candy, you can rest assured that you’ll receive the best care possible. Rediscover the joy of a more flexible, mobile and pain-free life thanks to advanced massage techniques and treatments.
At Mid North Coast Allied Health, your satisfaction is our goal. From Coffs Harbour to Port Macquarie and Woolgoolga to Moonee Beach, our team is ready to help.
Join us as we delve deep into the world of exercise physiology, unravelling how our bodies respond and adapt to physical activity and the science behind these changes. We will introduce you to the expertise of exercise physiologists who craft personalised exercise...
Are you ready to lace up your hiking boots and hit the trails? 'Take a Hike Day' is just around the corner on the 17th of November, and it's the perfect opportunity to reconnect with nature, get some exercise, and clear your mind. We, at Mid North Coast Allied Health,...
In today's busy world, finding time to stay fit and active can be a challenge — especially when work demands, family commitments, and various other responsibilities seem to vie for our attention. However, one excellent way to prioritise your health and fitness goals...